Spokane celebrates Spring with the annual Spokane Winery Association’s, Spring Barrel Tasting. For 25 years, Spokane wineries have opened their doors to wine lovers of all ages (21 and over of course) on Mother’s Day Weekend. Spring marks the time when many of the years previous vintages are ready for release and gives oenophiles an opportunity to try wine that is still in the wine making process.
This year two wineries and one new tasting room join the association giving happy sippers 18 locations to enjoy 24 local and regional wineries. Bridge Press Cellars, the most recent addition to the Spokane Winery Association and eMVy Cellars, the proud project of Mark and Valerie Wilkerson will be celebrating the grand opening of the newest tasting room space at 32 W. 2nd Ave next to Sun People Dry Goods in the Spokane Public Market. Also joining in the Spring Barrel Tasting is Nectar Tasting Room where five Washington wineries share a co-op space at 120 N. Stevens.
Spring Barrel Tasting festivities are from 11AM – 5PM Friday through Sunday, May 6-8. Many wineries will be celebrating their newest releases and will be offering discounts on current and new vintages. Wine tasting gives you a chance to “try before you buy” ensuring you find a wine that you love. Tasting fees may apply and many wineries will waive the tasting fee with the purchase of a bottle.
Nectar Tasting Room Spring Barrel Tasting
While we don’t have barrels at the tasting room, you can choose to taste 5 wines from 5 Washington State wineries. Enjoy a newly released Malbec, a gold medal winning 2010 Viognier, or celebrate Spring with a refreshing Sangiovese Rose. In total, 10 wines will be available and for $5 you can taste 5 (refundable with the purchase of a bottle). Look for a special ½ price case sale as well as other discounts.
End your day on Friday with the First Friday celebration that includes photography from Mark Anthony Productions and music from Spokane favorite Darrin Hilderbrand. Music starts at 6:30 and the party goes well into the night usually wrapping up around 10pm. If you’re out and about on Saturday night come by at 9PM for Spokane’s favorite wine party, The Final Sip. For only $10 you get to sample up to 8 of any of the wines we have open (usually 20-30 bottles).
Nectar will also be open on Sunday from 11AM – 5PM. Bring mom by and treat her to a unique wine tasting experience.
- Anelare 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon $33 (reg $44)
- Hard Row To Hoe 2007 Barbera $18 (reg $24)
- Northwest Cellars 2009 Chardonnay $12 (reg $16)
- Northwest Cellars 2007 Cabernet $18 (reg $24)
- Skylite Cellars 2009 Viognier $15 (reg $19)
- Skylite Cellars 2009 Dry Rose $15 (reg $19)
- Terra Blanca 2008 Riesling $10.50 (reg $14)
- Terra Blanca 2006 Syrah $120 case (reg $240)
7 Tips for Spring Barrel Tasting Weekend
- Drink water, then drink more water
- You don’t have to finish every wine sample
- Don’t hog the tasting bar, make room for others
- Make a purchase. When you find a wine you like support the local economy and buy it.
- Eat, take a break for lunch and snacks. Drinking on an empty stomach means trouble
- Don’t wear heavy perfume.
- Most importantly…bring a designated driver
06 Apr 2011
Welcome to month number four of Nectar Tasting Room. With a quarter under our belt, we love meeting so many new people. Thank you for sharing our adventure with your friends. We have several fun events planned for April as well as the introduction of a brand new wine club. As the weather gets warmer, more and more people are headed downtown to experience the wine tasting destination of downtown Spokane. Nectar is proud to be the 9th tasting room downtown, giving visitors access to 18 wineries and nearly over 100 different wines. Plan a day-cation in the heart of the city.
March 31 – April 2
No foolin’, we’ve got some awesome fun at Nectar. Get 47% off of the annual Club Nectar membership and enjoy some fine Hiney wine from Skylite Cellars.
- Thursday – Check in on Foursquare or Facebook places and save $1 off any glass of wine!
- Friday – Enjoy First Friday with new art from Gallery of Thum owner, Cecile Charles and live music from the very talented Kathleen Cavender. Skylite Cellars is selling their Hiney (wine that is). On a few cases are available. Buy the bottle for only $15, buy a case for just $120!
- Saturday – As always enjoy wine tasting from five Washington wineries and wrap up the evening with music from Karrie O’Neill.
- Thursday – Join us as we celebrate the ribbon cutting ceremony for our very own caterers “Just a Couple of Mom’s” catering. The Valley Chamber of Commerce will be here starting at 4pm. FREE food samples will be provided.
- Friday – Many of you have asked when they are coming, Anelare Winery will be here pouring samples starting at 5pm. They are bringing a few new wines and will be offering some fantastic case deals for those that join their club membership. Jazz Awareness Month continues with music from Ron Kieper and Brian McCann.
- Saturday – Wine from Anelare continues to flow as winery owners Forrest and Kahryn Alexander hang out for the day. Wrap up your night by coming down for music with Michael Dwyer and The Final Sip.
Get the Club Nectar membership at 47% off. Deal ends Friday (4/8) at noon!
- Thursday – Are you social? Get $1 off of your glass pours and appetizer plates just by checking in on Foursquare, Facebook places, or Gowalla.
- Friday – NEW WINE WEEKEND! Our menu has grown from 32 to 40 in the last few months. Come down and experience some of the new wine to join the menu. You just might find a new favorite. More JAZZ! Enjoy music from the Heather Villa Blues Duo.
- Saturday – Maxie Ray Mills returns to Nectar by popular demand. Enjoy the music from 6:30-9:30.
- Thursday – Meeting at Nectar is cool. We’ve got free wi-fi and a cozy space to work from. We’re open from 2-9pm. Come in for ½ price appetizer plates with the purchase of a bottle of wine from 4-7pm. Meet a client over a glass of wine. They will be impressed.
- Friday – The JAZZ continues with J.A.M. as we welcome RBMC Jazz. Sign up for the new Quarterly Sip wine club. Members get our BEST discount of 20% on four quarterly wine club deliveries. You won’t want to miss it.
- Saturday – I am very honored to welcome one of my most favorite musicians of all time. Please join me in welcoming the very talented Michael and Keleren Milham of Sidhe. You won’t want to miss this awesome treat.
April 28 – 30
- Thursday – We will be closing early to host NAWBO (National Association of Business Owners) annual UnCork’d event. We normally don’t close for a private event, but we scheduled this event before we extended our Thursday hours. Please accept our apologies.
- Friday – This is your last weekend to enjoy the art of Cecile Charles and fantastic JAZZ to celebrate Jazz Awareness Month.
- Saturday – Wrap up April with some pre-Bloomsday specials. Bring in your Bloomsday registration packet and get 10% off your entire order. Enjoy music from Just JoeKen and finish the night with The Final Sip (all things in moderation if you’re running). Buy a bottle during The Final Sip and get your entrance fee for ½ price.
On the radar…
May will feature the photography from the very talented Mark Anthony. We’ve also got some new musicians lined up including The Vagabonds Travelling Show. Mark your calendar for Mother’s Day Weekend as we join with the Spokane Winery Association’s Spring Barrel Tasting (May 6-8).
09 Mar 2011
Wine. Social lubricant, relaxing release, medical miracle, challenging conundrum. Wine is a mysterious beverage that we seek to understand, love to analyze, and drive to discover. But, isn’t it just rotten grapes! I love watching people discover new flavors they love and uncover the subtle nuances of a carefully crafted creation. Nectar Tasting Room gives you the opportunity to explore 35+ wines from 5 wineries in one location. Located in Downtown Spokane at 120 N. Stevens (across from Sante Restaurant, Sushi.com and Aunties Book Store) Nectar is here for you to explore Washington wine.
March is Washington Wine Month. Come down to Nectar and experience some of the best that Washington wine has to offer.
(Yes, I realize this is in the past, but want to create an archive of events at Nectar)
- Thursday – Check in on Foursquare or Facebook places and save $1 off any glass of wine!
- Friday – Welcome to First Friday at Nectar. This month’s featured artist is Todd Sackmann. His photography provides a unique perspective on Spokane landmarks. Stop by for music from Just JoeKen. Their blend of acoustic blues, rock, classic rock and modern hits make them a Nectar favorite.
- Join Don Phelps from Hard Row to Hoe Vineyards as he samples two new wines and has come very unique giveaways.
- Saturday – Join Don Phelps again to taste your choice of 5 of the 8 wines at Nectar. The two new wines, 2007 Cabernet Franc and the unique 2007 Iron Bed Red Blend will amaze you. Music from the incomparable Maxie Ray Mills completes the evening
March 10- 12
- Thursday – SIN (Service Industry Night). If you work in the service industry (restaurant, hotel, bar, etc), stop by for 20% off of glasses and 10% off of all bottles.
- Friday – Music by one of my favorite local artists, Darin Hilderbrand. Darin provides the back drop to a visit from the energetic Cheryl Hodgins from Skylite Cellars. Cheryl comes to Spokane to celebrate the release of their 2008 Malbec. This smooth wine is full of blueberry flavor and a hint of earth and cigar box.
- Saturday – Join Skylite Cellars as we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. The local parade route goes right in front of Nectar and YOU can reserve your own private table with a view for only $69.95. Your table for four includes a bottle of wine (up to $30) and a special Irish meat and cheese appetizer plate. The parade starts at Noon. Call 509.869.1572 to secure your spot (limited to just 6 tables). Music in the evening from Karrie O’Neil.
March 17 – 19
- Thursday – Always a fun way to relax. We’re open from 2-9pm. Come by for a glass of wine. We have free wifi (for your work meetings) and meat & cheese appetizer plates to curb your appetite before dinner.
- Friday – Soulful and sweet sounds from Olivia Kintzele. Olivia’s voice is mystifying and unique. You’ve got to hear her.
- Saturday – Come enjoy Coeur d’Alene Olive Oil Company and wine at Nectar Tasting Room from Noon – 5pm. CDAOO has some amazing flavor infused olive oils that will have your taste buds begging you for more. Stay the evening for music with Colleen Rice. Don’t forget “The Final Sip” from 9-10pm – Spokane’s favorite wine party.
March 24 – 26
- Thursday – Check in on Foursquare or Facebook places and save $1 off any glass of wine.
- Friday – Your last chance to see the photography of Todd Sackmann. Music by Fawnell Gresham. Fawnell’s original acoustic folk is a mellow way to end the month.
- Saturday – New wine tasting: Taste the four new wines introduced at Nectar over the last month for only $5. Enjoy music from one of our Nectar regulars, Michael Dwyer and stay for The Final SIP. Buy a bottle during the final sip and get your FEE WAVED (one night only).
On The Radar
April is Jazz Awareness Month (J.A.M.) and Nectar is a proud supporter! Join us each Friday night for amazing local jazz music.
April brings you by the amazingly talented art from Cecile Charles. Cecile has worked on some brand new pieces just to show at Nectar. You’ll be glad you came by.
11 Feb 2011
No child should die with unfulfilled dreams. The Wishing Star foundation is one of the true heroes of this world, providing hope and fulfilling dreams to children who live with the impending threat and stress of terminal illness. These young children live their lives with thoughts of doctor’s visits, tests, pain, and medication. The Wishing Star Foundation helps to fulfill dreams of vacations, room makeovers, trips to Disneyworld, Hollywood experiences, and meeting famous people. As individuals in Spokane (and across the internet) it may seem overwhelming for us to do our part. How can we help?
Taste your way to fulfilled dreams. Friday, March 4, at the Northern Quest Resort and Casino, you can taste your way through delicious treats and local wine knowing that with each sip and with each nibble you are making another wish come true. Last year’s event drew over 800 people and raised more than $18,000. This year promises to be even bigger.
Coordinator Taryn Erickson got involved with Wishing Star after a family friend, who was a “wish child” passed away. She watched the miracles first hand and was compelled to be involved. Spokane has 40+ active wishes including 21 year old Andrew who has a rare cancer of the bone. Andrew was diagnosed as a teenager and has given up school, college, job to fight this monster into remission. Your attendance can help fulfill his wish!
This year your $30 ticket (and any additional taste tickets you buy), go to fulfill the wishes of Adrienne, Mitchell, and Evett.
Adrienne’s wish: Adrienne is four years old and suffers from heart defects. Her wish is to have a castle playhouse. Spokane Home Builder’s Apprenticeship Program is currently building the playhouse, but funds are needed for the materials!
Mitchell’s wish: Mitchell is twelve years old and suffers from brachman de lange syndrome. His wish is to go to a NASCAR race. With your help, we are hoping to send Mitchell to a race during the next NASCAR season.
Evett’s wish: Evett is nine years old and suffers from heart complications as well. Her wish is to go to Orlando, Florida. She wants to go to Disneyworld, Universal Studios and the beach. She would like to travel on her birthday this July.
Nectar Tasting Room and Spokane Wine Magazine are proud to be a part of this event and look forward to joining several amazing tasting tables provided by:
- Arbor Crest Wine Cellars
- Chocolate Myracles
- Christ Kitchen
- Coeur d’Alene Cellars
- Dry Falls Cellars
- Dry Fly Distilling
- EMVY Cellars
- Georgetown Brewing/Manny’s
- Hay J’s Bistro
- Iron Horse Brewery
- Just American Deserts
- Marsells Cakes and Desserts
- Masselow’s at Northern Quest
- Mary Hill Winery
- MJ’s Chocolate Fountain
- Mountain Dome Winery
- Nectar Tasting Room
- Northern Lights Brewery
- NQ Banquet and Conference Services
- Pend d’Oreille Winery
- Pixie Dust Chocolates
- Rocky Mountain Chocolates
- Taste of India
- Tom Sawyer Country Coffee
- Townshend Cellars
When: Friday, March 4 from 6-10 p.m.
Where: Northern Quest Casino (discounted room rates available)
05 Nov 2010
Occasionally a wine lover’s dream weekend comes along that requires some major preparation to ensure proper liver treatment and survival. An inexperienced wino will end up passed out just hours into the weekend while a prepared wine lover can skillfully wine their way from event to event still feeling refreshed and rejuvenated on Monday morning. Not one, but TWO such dream weekends are upon us.
They keys to survival are planning, hydration, and an ancient liver massaging technique that I’ll reveal at the end of the post.
Planning the Weekend(s)
Epicurean Delight – Where Celebration Meets Social Conscience
Spokane Convention Center
6pm – Midnight; $150
Epicurean Delight, hosted by The Inland Northwest Blood Center attracted more than 1,100 people in 2009 with record-breaking attendance and participation! Epicurean Delight 2010 will once again feature the most exquisite restaurants, paired with the finest wineries and microbreweries in the Inland Northwest!
Proceeds from Epicurean Delight 2010 will be used to advance INBC’s life saving mission with a portion of the funds designated to providing superior technologies and blood center education and training.
Wine Styles 2 Year Anniversary Celebration
Friday & Saturday, Nov 12-13, 2010
8801 N Indian Trails Rd
Come enjoy all day tastings of various Washington wineries. Wine Styles will have live music, hors d’oeuvres, door prizes, raffle and much more! Amazing sales for everyone! Stock up for the holidays: 10% off 3 bottles, 15% off 6 bottles, 20% off 12 bottles, 30% off 18 bottles. All premium wines (bottles valued at $50 or more) are buy one, get the 2nd 40% off.
Nodland Cellars New Bad Attitude Release
11611 E Montgomery
Spokane Valley, WA
6-9pm, special event pricing of $18
The event of the year at Nodland Cellars! We release the new Rock and Roll series with our new Merlot/Malbec blend, BAD ATTITUDE! Regular $20 btl/special event price $18 btl. Wine, food and song! $5 tasting fee refundable with purchase. Come and rock out with us! Put on some Bad Attitude!
17th Annual Spokane Cork & Keg Festival
Mirabeau Park Hotel
1100 N. Sullivan Rd.Spokane Valley, WA 7-10 p.m. $45 per person
Buy tickets online or find the ticket outlet closest to you:
Sample more than 100 wines and 30 handcrafted beers from the Northwest and beyond. Souvenir wine glass, yummy hors d’oeuvres prepared by Chef Curtis Smith and the Inland Northwest Culinary Academy, silent auction and discount wine store (wine is 20% less than retail with no sales tax!). Enjoy live music by the Martini Brothers!
Liberty Lake Wine Cellars Special Release
Sunday, Nov 14, 2010
Liberty Lake Wine Cellars
1018 S. Garry Rd.
Liberty Lake, WA
Every once in a while people enter our lives that make a significant impact and change the way we live. They leave a legacy. Liberty Lake is celebrating the legacy of Shelly’s father, Gary, who passed away last year, with the release of a special legacy third generation blend. Celebrate Gary’s birthday with the release of Gary’s Legacy Red.
Spokane Winery Association Holiday Wine Festival
Friday – Sunday, Nov. 19-12, 2010
17 Spokane Wineries
11 am – 5pm – tasting fees vary.
In the spirit of holiday celebration, 17 local wineries will host a special celebration of wine, gourmet food and fun as part of the Spokane Winery Association’s Annual Holiday Wine Festival.
Take a break from the bustle of the holiday season and enjoy special moments with friends savoring all that the Annual Holiday Wine Festival has to offer. Also, consider kicking off this holiday season’s shopping with the unique and tasteful gift options at your favorite local wineries.
Join in the celebration with exclusive wine tasting at each winery, gourmet food sampling and discounts at select locations. The individual wineries, each with trademarks and specialties, invite the public to celebrate the season and to talk personally with winemakers and aficionados about production, wines and more during the event.
As I mentioned earlier, the keys to surviving an epic wine weekend are planning, hydration and liver massage. Don’t forget to drink lots of water. Alcohol dehydrates the brain (that’s what causes the headaches by the way). Also, try this ancient liver massage technique to rid your body of the alcohol toxins quicker. *
*Liver massage techniques are not proven. The claims of this blog are purely satirical and to make you laugh. No medical claims are inferred.