14 Jun 2011
We are today’s GROUPON! We hope you’ll participate in one or both of these great deals. Both will be available June 14 and 15 but hurry because The Final Sip coupon is limited to the first 250 people.
Groupon is a great way for customers to save money but it is also a fantastic way for businesses to engage new and existing customers. While some argue that that Groupon can be a huge burden for small businesses, I contend that done correctly and with the right intentions, small business can benefit greatly from the marketing and exposure. See the final paragraphs for my insights.
P.S. While you’re here you should LIKE US on FACEBOOK
Wine Tasting for Two $5 (reg $10)
Nectar Tasting Room is a winery just like any other in Spokane, we just happen to have 5 wineries and 44 wines on the menu for your imbibing pleasure. Every weekend you can come to Nectar and experience 5 different wines at the tasting bar. A tasting for TWO is normally $10 but for the Groupon lovers, enjoy at 50% off. Stop by and enjoy the wines from Anelare Winery (Kennewick), Hard Row To Hoe Vineyards (Lake Chelan), Northwest Cellars (Kirkland), Skylite Cellars (Walla Walla), and Terra Blanca (Benton City).
The Final Sip $5 (reg $10)
We think it is sad to see wine go down the drain. We think you do too. Help us save the grapes by stopping by for Spokane’s best weekly wine party. From 9-10 on Saturday night we put ALL our open bottles of wine on the bar (usually 20+) and customers can sample between 6-8 of the wines for only $10, for Groupon lovers only $5. This is a fun way to learn more about wine and explore wines from all price ranges $15-$50. Bring a friend or 10 and come by for The Final Sip wine party. It is kinda like a kill the keg party but with more class and grapes.
Five Tips for Thriving With Groupon
If you approach Groupon as a way to make money, you may quickly find out that making 25% or less on your goods or services can quickly eat into profit margins. Use Groupon as a way to market a service or product to a large demographic. Consider the cost of traditional advertising to a large base of people. Use money from your marketing budget and not cost of good.
2. Capture data
While Groupon frowns on collecting email or information as a requirement to redeem, there is nothing that says you can’t try to capture at least some basic information (name and email). Chances are most people will be willing to join your email list. They like your product enough to buy it, if you provide value and don’t over market through email, you may gain instant access to a very large email list. Groupon will provide you a list of names of people who purchased. Drop those names in an alphabetized spreadsheet and add a column for email. Print the list and when people come in you can validate by searching for their name and ask for the added info.
3. Added value sales
When people come visit your establishment are their other products or services that they will likely add to their bill (drinks, added service, more food)? Don’t give away the farm on the Groupon. Use the opportunity to entice people to visit and make sure you have attractive add ons while they are in your establishment.
4. Staffing and impressions
Plan your Groupon carefully. If you have limitations on staffing or schedule, make sure the Groupon includes restrictions on volume or a reservation system. You don’t want to be overwhelmed at your business or be in a situation where Groupon redeemers leave with a negative experience. Chances are you will be making a first impression to hundreds of potentially new customers.
5. Don’t overuse
Limit the amount of times you use deal based services like Groupon. Customers are getting used to getting deals and you don’t want to establish a pattern that undervalues your goods or services. Why would someone come in and pay $50 for dinner when they know that you frequently use deal sites that offer the same food for $25. A percentage of customers will be just ‘in it for the deal’ but your job is to win them over to why your business is worth returning too for the full price. Wow them with service and quality and follow up.
04 May 2011
After one of the coolest (and by cool, I don’t mean “cool”) springs on record we are bursting at the wine skins for some consistent good weather and wine tasting season. Spokane wine tasting is an exciting activity with 24 Washington wineries in 18 locations across the city. At Nectar we just came out of our busiest month since we opened. With some big May events and private parties scheduled weekly, we hope you are as excited as we are.
DID YOU KNOW?
We now have 2 wine clubs.
A) Club Nectar – This is our annual membership club where members get savings on wine all year long, complimentary tasting bar and ½ price admission to The Final Sip. Wine lovers have realized that it doesn’t take long to recoup the small $75 investment.
B) The Quarterly Sip – Five wines (one from each winery) at our best discount of 20% off just for you every quarter. The cost, only $99. The wine will be current faves, new releases, and exclusive offerings. Learn more and sign up by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org – The first pick up party will be June 2, so don’t delay.
Get ready for one of the biggest wine weekends in our short Nectar history. Spokane kicks off wine tasting season with the 25th annual Spring Barrel Tasting Weekend and we are stoked to participate.
- THURSDAY – Thirsty Thursday comes back with a vengeance. Check in on Facebook places or Foursquare and get ½ price wine (selection limited) AND buy any bottle of wine and get your appetizer plate ½ price! I’m getting thirsty just thinking about it.
- FRIDAY – Welcome to First Friday at Nectar! We are happy to showcase the work of popular artist Mark Anthony for the entire month of May. Darin Hilderbrand will be providing the musical vibrations and our wine slingers will be providing the vino libations. Come early, the place will be packed!
- SATURDAY – Open 11am – 5pm with five tasting stations featuring never before tasting wines, current favorites and some steep discounts. We’re also excited to be selling aNeMonE paper flowers. These are the perfect gift for Mother’s day and they are amazingly beautiful.
- Music from The Vagabonds Traveling Show 6:30-9:30
- SUNDAY – Open 11am – 5pm for more Spring Barrel Tasting fun. Celebrate with mom and enjoy a day of wine all across Spokane.
- THURSDAY – Thirsty Thursday = ½ price appetizer plates with the purchase of a bottle of wine.
- FRIDAY – Featuring blind wine challenge. For only $10 ($5 for members) we’ll be sampling 8 wines (four pairs of the same varietal). The trick, they’ll be in a paper bag and you won’t know which is which. Find your favorite, guess the grape and test your taste buds.
- Music from Michael Dwyer from 6:30 – 9:30 (a Nectar favorite)
- SATURDAY – Painting with Spirits returns! Create your own masterpiece under the guidance of local artist Rebecca Ebert. Your admission price includes a glass of wine, appetizers and a guaranteed great time. REGISTER HERE. The blind wine challenge continues. Enjoy music from Colleen Rice and The Final Sip wine party from 9:00 – 10:00pm.
- SUNDAY – Was going to open but scheduled 2 private events for the day. Let us know if you’d like to host your next party at the beautiful Nectar Tasting Room.
May 19 – 22
- THURSDAY – Did you know Nectar is a great place to meet a client for that afternoon meeting? We’ve got free wi-fi, amazing meat and cheese plates, and wines that range in price from $14 – $52 (for that special client you need to impress).
- FRIDAY – Enjoy the Jazz Duo of Ron Kieper and Brian McCann. The smooth sound of saxophone and upright bass make every sip super. 6:30-9:00
- SATURDAY – Wine tasting is fun. Re-visit some of your favorites as we showcase the best selling wines at Nectar over the last 5 months. The Lilac Parade goes right in front of Nectar. For one night, we’ll be selling our reserve seating tables with a view of the parade route. Six tables are available for $69.95 and include a bottle of wine (up to $30) and a large appetizer plate. Have a front row view AND a place to enjoy the evening with friends.
- SUNDAY – Open 12-5.
- THURSDAY – This is your last weekend to catch the photography of Mark Anthony. This will be a pretty special Thirsty Thursday as we celebrate the 2nd international Chardonnay day. Join thousands of people worldwide (online and at events) as we celebrate Chardonnay. At Nectar you can enjoy 1/2 price Chardonnay or buy a bottle and get 1/2 of your appetizer plate. Learn more and even host your own party! http://chardday-estw.eventbrite.com/
- FRIDAY – Don’t miss the first shipment of The Quarterly Sip wine club. The pickup party is June 2 and you MUST be signed up by Saturday to be guaranteed a delivery. Music by Just JoeKen from 6:30 – 9:30.
- SATURDAY – The Reserve Tasting Flight returns. Don’t miss the opportunity to taste through some of our high end wines. The flight of 5 is $10 (sorry no member perk) and is not refundable with a purchase. These wines range in price from $30 – $50. Hot off the heels of her new CD release, enjoy music from Karrie O’Neill.
- SUNDAY – Get your wine for the Memorial Day barbeque. Stop by for 15% off a special 6 pack.
On the horizon…
We usher in the sunshine of summer with our first annual “white” sale as well as First Friday. June also will feature a special Spokane Symphony promotion and several fundraising events to support the community.
28 Apr 2011
American Express coined the phrase, “Membership Has its Privileges” and we at Nectar agree. With a slight twist, we think memberSIP has its privileges. Many of you are familiar with, and have even joined our popular Club Nectar annual discount program. Yearlong savings and complimentary tastings provide a lot of happy sipping. In response to many requests, we are excited to announce a NEW wine club.
Introducing THE QUARTERLY SIP
You’ve discovered the wineries at Nectar. You even have a few of your favorite wines. The Quarterly Sip gets you our best discount on new wines, exclusive releases and some of your tried and true stand bys. There is NO cost to join and you will receive 4 “shipments” of wine each year. At the time of each shipment, we’ll have a huge pick up party just for members with appetizers, entertainment, and samples. Check out the benefits and sign up today.
- Four “shipments” per year (one per quarter)
- Four –Five wines including new releases, exclusive wines and current favorites
- 20% off selected wines
- Four complimentary wine tasting passes for you to use or share ($20 value)
- 10% off any other wine purchases
- Quarterly pick up party
- Only $99 (billed quarterly)
2011 Quarterly Sips will be May 30, August 31, November 16
Out of town but still want to sip? Shoot us an email and we’ll get you signed up. Additional shipping of $19.95 will apply. email@example.com
We hope you’ll join. Enjoy life with friends and Drink Happy!
Spokane celebrates Spring with the annual Spokane Winery Association’s, Spring Barrel Tasting. For 25 years, Spokane wineries have opened their doors to wine lovers of all ages (21 and over of course) on Mother’s Day Weekend. Spring marks the time when many of the years previous vintages are ready for release and gives oenophiles an opportunity to try wine that is still in the wine making process.
This year two wineries and one new tasting room join the association giving happy sippers 18 locations to enjoy 24 local and regional wineries. Bridge Press Cellars, the most recent addition to the Spokane Winery Association and eMVy Cellars, the proud project of Mark and Valerie Wilkerson will be celebrating the grand opening of the newest tasting room space at 32 W. 2nd Ave next to Sun People Dry Goods in the Spokane Public Market. Also joining in the Spring Barrel Tasting is Nectar Tasting Room where five Washington wineries share a co-op space at 120 N. Stevens.
Spring Barrel Tasting festivities are from 11AM – 5PM Friday through Sunday, May 6-8. Many wineries will be celebrating their newest releases and will be offering discounts on current and new vintages. Wine tasting gives you a chance to “try before you buy” ensuring you find a wine that you love. Tasting fees may apply and many wineries will waive the tasting fee with the purchase of a bottle.
Nectar Tasting Room Spring Barrel Tasting
While we don’t have barrels at the tasting room, you can choose to taste 5 wines from 5 Washington State wineries. Enjoy a newly released Malbec, a gold medal winning 2010 Viognier, or celebrate Spring with a refreshing Sangiovese Rose. In total, 10 wines will be available and for $5 you can taste 5 (refundable with the purchase of a bottle). Look for a special ½ price case sale as well as other discounts.
End your day on Friday with the First Friday celebration that includes photography from Mark Anthony Productions and music from Spokane favorite Darrin Hilderbrand. Music starts at 6:30 and the party goes well into the night usually wrapping up around 10pm. If you’re out and about on Saturday night come by at 9PM for Spokane’s favorite wine party, The Final Sip. For only $10 you get to sample up to 8 of any of the wines we have open (usually 20-30 bottles).
Nectar will also be open on Sunday from 11AM – 5PM. Bring mom by and treat her to a unique wine tasting experience.
- Anelare 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon $33 (reg $44)
- Hard Row To Hoe 2007 Barbera $18 (reg $24)
- Northwest Cellars 2009 Chardonnay $12 (reg $16)
- Northwest Cellars 2007 Cabernet $18 (reg $24)
- Skylite Cellars 2009 Viognier $15 (reg $19)
- Skylite Cellars 2009 Dry Rose $15 (reg $19)
- Terra Blanca 2008 Riesling $10.50 (reg $14)
- Terra Blanca 2006 Syrah $120 case (reg $240)
7 Tips for Spring Barrel Tasting Weekend
- Drink water, then drink more water
- You don’t have to finish every wine sample
- Don’t hog the tasting bar, make room for others
- Make a purchase. When you find a wine you like support the local economy and buy it.
- Eat, take a break for lunch and snacks. Drinking on an empty stomach means trouble
- Don’t wear heavy perfume.
- Most importantly…bring a designated driver
06 Apr 2011
Welcome to month number four of Nectar Tasting Room. With a quarter under our belt, we love meeting so many new people. Thank you for sharing our adventure with your friends. We have several fun events planned for April as well as the introduction of a brand new wine club. As the weather gets warmer, more and more people are headed downtown to experience the wine tasting destination of downtown Spokane. Nectar is proud to be the 9th tasting room downtown, giving visitors access to 18 wineries and nearly over 100 different wines. Plan a day-cation in the heart of the city.
March 31 – April 2
No foolin’, we’ve got some awesome fun at Nectar. Get 47% off of the annual Club Nectar membership and enjoy some fine Hiney wine from Skylite Cellars.
- Thursday – Check in on Foursquare or Facebook places and save $1 off any glass of wine!
- Friday – Enjoy First Friday with new art from Gallery of Thum owner, Cecile Charles and live music from the very talented Kathleen Cavender. Skylite Cellars is selling their Hiney (wine that is). On a few cases are available. Buy the bottle for only $15, buy a case for just $120!
- Saturday – As always enjoy wine tasting from five Washington wineries and wrap up the evening with music from Karrie O’Neill.
- Thursday – Join us as we celebrate the ribbon cutting ceremony for our very own caterers “Just a Couple of Mom’s” catering. The Valley Chamber of Commerce will be here starting at 4pm. FREE food samples will be provided.
- Friday – Many of you have asked when they are coming, Anelare Winery will be here pouring samples starting at 5pm. They are bringing a few new wines and will be offering some fantastic case deals for those that join their club membership. Jazz Awareness Month continues with music from Ron Kieper and Brian McCann.
- Saturday – Wine from Anelare continues to flow as winery owners Forrest and Kahryn Alexander hang out for the day. Wrap up your night by coming down for music with Michael Dwyer and The Final Sip.
Get the Club Nectar membership at 47% off. Deal ends Friday (4/8) at noon!
- Thursday – Are you social? Get $1 off of your glass pours and appetizer plates just by checking in on Foursquare, Facebook places, or Gowalla.
- Friday – NEW WINE WEEKEND! Our menu has grown from 32 to 40 in the last few months. Come down and experience some of the new wine to join the menu. You just might find a new favorite. More JAZZ! Enjoy music from the Heather Villa Blues Duo.
- Saturday – Maxie Ray Mills returns to Nectar by popular demand. Enjoy the music from 6:30-9:30.
- Thursday – Meeting at Nectar is cool. We’ve got free wi-fi and a cozy space to work from. We’re open from 2-9pm. Come in for ½ price appetizer plates with the purchase of a bottle of wine from 4-7pm. Meet a client over a glass of wine. They will be impressed.
- Friday – The JAZZ continues with J.A.M. as we welcome RBMC Jazz. Sign up for the new Quarterly Sip wine club. Members get our BEST discount of 20% on four quarterly wine club deliveries. You won’t want to miss it.
- Saturday – I am very honored to welcome one of my most favorite musicians of all time. Please join me in welcoming the very talented Michael and Keleren Milham of Sidhe. You won’t want to miss this awesome treat.
April 28 – 30
- Thursday – We will be closing early to host NAWBO (National Association of Business Owners) annual UnCork’d event. We normally don’t close for a private event, but we scheduled this event before we extended our Thursday hours. Please accept our apologies.
- Friday – This is your last weekend to enjoy the art of Cecile Charles and fantastic JAZZ to celebrate Jazz Awareness Month.
- Saturday – Wrap up April with some pre-Bloomsday specials. Bring in your Bloomsday registration packet and get 10% off your entire order. Enjoy music from Just JoeKen and finish the night with The Final Sip (all things in moderation if you’re running). Buy a bottle during The Final Sip and get your entrance fee for ½ price.
On the radar…
May will feature the photography from the very talented Mark Anthony. We’ve also got some new musicians lined up including The Vagabonds Travelling Show. Mark your calendar for Mother’s Day Weekend as we join with the Spokane Winery Association’s Spring Barrel Tasting (May 6-8).