Celebrate Spring Barrel Wine Tasting Weekend in Spokane
Spokane celebrates Spring with the annual Spokane Winery Association’s, Spring Barrel Tasting. For 25 years, Spokane wineries have opened their doors to wine lovers of all ages (21 and over of course) on Mother’s Day Weekend. Spring marks the time when many of the years previous vintages are ready for release and gives oenophiles an opportunity to try wine that is still in the wine making process.
This year two wineries and one new tasting room join the association giving happy sippers 18 locations to enjoy 24 local and regional wineries. Bridge Press Cellars, the most recent addition to the Spokane Winery Association and eMVy Cellars, the proud project of Mark and Valerie Wilkerson will be celebrating the grand opening of the newest tasting room space at 32 W. 2nd Ave next to Sun People Dry Goods in the Spokane Public Market. Also joining in the Spring Barrel Tasting is Nectar Tasting Room where five Washington wineries share a co-op space at 120 N. Stevens.
Spring Barrel Tasting festivities are from 11AM – 5PM Friday through Sunday, May 6-8. Many wineries will be celebrating their newest releases and will be offering discounts on current and new vintages. Wine tasting gives you a chance to “try before you buy” ensuring you find a wine that you love. Tasting fees may apply and many wineries will waive the tasting fee with the purchase of a bottle.
Nectar Tasting Room Spring Barrel Tasting
While we don’t have barrels at the tasting room, you can choose to taste 5 wines from 5 Washington State wineries. Enjoy a newly released Malbec, a gold medal winning 2010 Viognier, or celebrate Spring with a refreshing Sangiovese Rose. In total, 10 wines will be available and for $5 you can taste 5 (refundable with the purchase of a bottle). Look for a special ½ price case sale as well as other discounts.
End your day on Friday with the First Friday celebration that includes photography from Mark Anthony Productions and music from Spokane favorite Darrin Hilderbrand. Music starts at 6:30 and the party goes well into the night usually wrapping up around 10pm. If you’re out and about on Saturday night come by at 9PM for Spokane’s favorite wine party, The Final Sip. For only $10 you get to sample up to 8 of any of the wines we have open (usually 20-30 bottles).
Nectar will also be open on Sunday from 11AM – 5PM. Bring mom by and treat her to a unique wine tasting experience.
- Anelare 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon $33 (reg $44)
- Hard Row To Hoe 2007 Barbera $18 (reg $24)
- Northwest Cellars 2009 Chardonnay $12 (reg $16)
- Northwest Cellars 2007 Cabernet $18 (reg $24)
- Skylite Cellars 2009 Viognier $15 (reg $19)
- Skylite Cellars 2009 Dry Rose $15 (reg $19)
- Terra Blanca 2008 Riesling $10.50 (reg $14)
- Terra Blanca 2006 Syrah $120 case (reg $240)
7 Tips for Spring Barrel Tasting Weekend
- Drink water, then drink more water
- You don’t have to finish every wine sample
- Don’t hog the tasting bar, make room for others
- Make a purchase. When you find a wine you like support the local economy and buy it.
- Eat, take a break for lunch and snacks. Drinking on an empty stomach means trouble
- Don’t wear heavy perfume.
- Most importantly…bring a designated driver