Episode #92 Cave B Estate Winery
Situated in the center of the state of Washington is a destination resort vineyard and winery that showcases 30 year old vines and views 900 feet above the Columbia River. Cave B Estate Winery is next to the Gorge Amphitheater 150 miles East of Seattle and 150 miles West of Spokane just off Interstate 90 in the little town of Quincy, WA. With 30 rooms, a spa, restaurant and award winning wine, Cave B makes for a perfect overnight trip, or resting stop on your journey to/from Seattle.
Owners Vince and Carol Bryan have fulfilled their vision for the property they began planting in 1980. The campus includes 120 acres of estate vineyards that winemaker Freddy Arrendondo uses to craft 19 different wines including Barbera, Tempranillo, and Blanc de Blanc sparkling wine. Cave B recently received 8 medals at the 2010 Seattle Wine Awards. Enjoy your stay with a hike down to the river, then enjoy a poolside massage and challenge your palate with a “Stump the Chump” blind wine tasting and wrap up your day with dinner at Tendrils Vineyard Restaurant.
2008 Cave B Riesling
- The Stuff: 100% Riesling fermented in stainless steel; 1.8% residual sugar; 12.7% ABV, 375 cases produced
- The Swirl: Beautiful soft honey tones that display a thicker viscosity, hint of small particulates in glass.
- The Sniff: The wine presents a lovely bouquet of perfume, nectarines, and guava. A soft sweetness graces the nose as well.
- The Sip: Love at first sip. A very fruit forward presentation of pineapple, tropical fruits and pears, followed by a perfectly balanced acidity that helps wash away the mild sweetness. The flavor is moderately sweet without coming across as syrupy.
- The Score: At $18 the Cave B Riesling is a wonderful balance of tropical aroma, off dry sweet fruit and a beautifully balanced finish that keeps you coming back for more. This wine is deserving of its gold at the SWA and scores a 4 out of 5 with me!
2008 Cave B Semillon
- The Stuff: 100% estate Semillon aged 11 months in 20% twice used American oak and a blend of 50% neutral American and 30% neutral French oak. 14.5% ABV, 275 cases produced
- The Swirl: First thing that comes to mind is liquid gold, almost light beer in color.
- The Sniff: Mild aromas of orange and spice are on the nose with a hint of vanilla bean.
- The Sip: If I didn’t know better, I would think this wine spent more time in oak. It’s pretty obvious that the twice used American oak imparted some flavors of toasted almonds and burnt vanilla. The wine coats the mouth and had a thin mid palate before coming through with a crisp finish of pears and honey.
- The Score: While not a fan of the oak presentation of this wine, it still has some interesting layers of flavor that would appeal to some people. Before purchasing this wine, be warned that it’s not a deck sipping Sauv Blanc or stainless steel aged Semillon. At $20 I can score this wine a 3+ for dynamic flavors, but give it a try before you commit to more than one bottle.
2006 Cave B Cuvee du Soleil
- The Stuff: 44% Cabernet Sauvignon, 31% Cab Franc, 25% Merlot, 22 months in 30% new American oak and 70% Neutral French and American oak; 13.9%ABV; 400 cases produced
- The Swirl: A dark cloudy plum color that is about 90% opaque.
- The Sniff: Powerful aromas of dark ripe plums, cocoa, leather, and coffee. You could spend quite a bit of time enjoying the aromas of this wine, but each sniff entices you to sip again!
- The Sip: The layers of flavor in this wine continue on and on with elegant presentations of coffee, black tea, stewed prunes, and hints of red cherry and cocoa. The wine has good medium-firm tannin on the finish that lingers.
- The Score: The Cave B proprietary blend is a wine that will wow a dinner party. A elegant presentation of Cab Sauv, Franc and Merlot make this a special wine that will age beautifully for another 5-8 years. At $40 this is a fantastic wine for special occasions and scores a good 4 out of 5.
*Wines were provided as an industry sample with the intention to review.
Learn more about Cave B Estate Winery
7 comments on “Episode #92 Cave B Estate Winery”
Pingback: Tweets that mention Episode #92 Cave B Estate Winery | Drink Nectar -- Topsy.com
What a beautiful location. Definitely easy to see why this is a destination winery. Sounds like the wines were nothing to sneeze at either, so I may have to try to make it out there sometime when I’m in WA.
Ben, we could make it a trip with the two of us and our wives!
I am very interested in trying their Riesling. The winery looks beautiful and is definitely on my list to visit!
I hope you get a chance to, Shannon and if you and Cortney are ever in this neck of the country, you BETTER call me!
Hello! I am a sales manager at Cave B and would be thrilled to welcome you to our property for a group event such as barrell tasting, winemakers’ dinner blind wine challenge or other festive event. Please let me know if you are interested in bringing a group and I would be happy to provide options, rates and availability.
thanks for reaching out and providing the information. I will be in touch AND hopefully the readers will be too!