Deal Found for Bargainistas
Last night I dumped a wine down the drain. Even at $3, the wine was not a good deal. Grocery Outlet buys wine that wineries are moving prior to new releases.
From the Bargainista Blog: These overstocks are most of what Grocery Outlet buys.Â The wine can be from the winery, importer or distributor.Â Past vintages are opportunistic buys, because once a vintage has been replaced by a newer vintage, the salespeople stop showing the older vintage.Â Older vintages become a storage expense, not a sales opportunity.Â Wineries, importers and distributors have money tied up in this stock.Â Â To quickly move through non-performing inventory, wineries, importers, and distributors will sell the wine at cost or even a loss.
Yesterdayâ€™s post brought lots of activity and comments. People are pretty passionate about finding good deals. The general consensus about shopping at Grocery Outlet is that itâ€™s hit or miss. Be cautious and buy some â€śtest bottlesâ€ť before you commit to quantity. BUT â€“ when you find a bottle you recognize or a region you trustâ€¦scoop it up.
Tonight, I broke out the short sleeve golf shirt to celebrate Spring and two potential white wine â€śdeals.â€ť
- The Stuff: 100% Russian River Chalk Hill estate Chardonnay. Aged in oak. A portion of each bottle benefits disadvantaged children.Â
- The Swirl: Clean and well filtered with a nice golden yellow color
- The Sniff: Melon and pear/apple aroma with hints of oaky vanilla
- The Sip: The wine has a nice mouth feel but the mid-palate seems slightly off structure. There is a mild butter toast that includes an effervescence like a sparkling wine. A good apple flavor comes through as well.
- The Score: Retail of $22, I wouldnâ€™t re-buy this Chardonnay, but at $11 this is a good 3!
Cellar Tracker Score (2 Reviews) of 84
This is the first DEAL from the Grocery Outlet bunch! With the 20% off sale March 30-April 3, this wine would only be $9 which is a good price for a well made Sonoma Chardonnay.
- The Stuff: 93% Sauvignon Blanc and 7% Chardonnay from Paso Robles
- The Swirl: Pale yellow, straw
- The Sniff: A hint of lemon but a predominant yeast / bread smell
- The Sip: At first the wine presents a really nice citrus and straw flavor but the back end kicks you with a tart finish.
- The Score: Even at $5 I have to compare this to some other good Sauvignon Blancâ€™s from Arbor Crest ($7) and Yellow + Blue ($9). I can give this a 2 (out of 5). Some people may love the crisp flavor but there isnâ€™t a lot going on here.
Cellar Tracker Score (1 Review) of 76
As a reminder, Grocery Outlet has a huge wine sale March 30 â€“ April 3. Stop by for 20% off their already low prices. Each of the 130+ Grocery Outlet stores is independently operated, so selections vary by store.
*The wine in these reviews was purchased using a $50 gift card provided by Grocery Outlet
ENTER TO WIN $50
It’s simple, leave a comment. Names won’t be added to a mailing list and you won’t be spammed. One lucky person will receive a $50 Grocery Outlet gift card.