Episode #17 Christmas 2009
Merry Christmas from DrinkNectar.com! This year Kimberly and I enjoyed a quiet Christmas. My sister and parents were in Phoenix, Kimberly’s family lives in Portland and her son was spending Christmas with his dad in Florida.
Christmas Eve we enjoyed a beautiful dinner at Clinkerdaggers overlooking the Spokane river. For wine we enjoyed a Cabernet Sauvignon wine flight that included Chateau St Jean (CA), Kenwood Yulupa (CA) and Chateau Ste Michelle Indian Wells (WA). Each of these wine reviews has been uploaded to www.corkd.com. The hands down favorite was Chateau Ste Michelle which had the most active nose and actually gave up the berry flavor along with the oaky tannin you would expect from a well made Cab.
Spending Christmas without our extended family is slightly sad. We missed our families terribly but managed to enjoy the day. After opening gifts we prepped dinner and headed to the new movie, “Up in the Air.” I highly recommend the movie, but it doesn’t really leave you with a happy feel good ending (but then again that’s the way life can be too).
Our holiday dinner, when we are sans child and family, is lasagna. I love Italian and lasagna is my favorite. The wines for Christmas Eve and Day were two we set aside from our Woodinville, WA trip in September. Reviewed in the video and text below are Ross Andrew 2005 Red Table Wine and Mark Ryan 2006 Long Haul. These wines were worth the wait (especially the Long Haul) and we can’t wait to get back to the Woodinville area again.
In the video I mention a Spokane winery that needs our support! Arbor Crest Winery occupies an old historic mansion on a hillside overlooking the Spokane valley. The morning of December 23, a power strip sparked a fire that gutted the interior. This amazing mansion (and surrounding grounds) is a Spokane treasure where people enjoy wine, get married, and celebrate life. Please show your support and buy this wine when you see the label. The exterior is in tact and they will work to rebuild the historic interior.
Thanks again for your support over the last six weeks of the launch of DrinkNectar.com. We were recently recognized as one of the top new food and spirit blogs in 2009 on www.drinksareonme.net. I also want to give a special shout out to The Wine Whore and Seattle Wine Gal for their amazing partnership. I look forward to a fun and wine filled 2010.
Life is meant to be enjoyed with friends. I hope this Christmas season brings you love and joy with your family along with several great bottles of wine!
2005 Ross Andrew Red Table Wine
- The Stuff: Bordeaux Blend
- The Swirl: Dark opaque plum with strong legs
- The Sniff: Day one, this wine was very disappointing. The cork smell came through overwhelming on the nose and the flavor was strong on the alcohol and acid. Day two, the wine opened up nicely presenting oak and cherry. Was still tight on the nose.
- The Sip: Mild oak and dirt with sour dark cherry flavor. Experienced medium tannin and chalky finish. Enjoyed a glass with the lasagna which was a great pairing for the chalky finish and acid.
- The Score: At $25, and because of the challenge during the first day, I would score this wine a 3 (out of 5). I probably wouldn’t purchase it again but would certainly explore other Ross Andrew offerings.
2006 Mark Ryan Long Haul
- The Stuff: Right Bank style blend with 48% Merlot 46% Cab Franc and 6% Petit Verdot.
- The Swirl: Moderately opaque with translucent edges. Nice jewel tones
- The Sniff: Wow, this glass is alive with aroma ranging from spice to coffee to vanilla to dark cherries alive with juice.
- The Sip: An explosion of fruit with the right amount of structure balance and tannin to enjoy alone or with a big steak or red pasta dish. This is like sex in a glass. The orgasm of flavor blew me away!
- The Score: At $48 I would definitely buy this again and again as long as my credit card allowed. Taking into consideration the economy and value, this wine scores a 4+. Get it at $35 and it is a steal and a 5.
Tags: video, wine, Wine Review, Woodinville
8 comments on “Episode #17 Christmas 2009”
Merry Christmas you too thanks so much for the recognition Josh, it has been so wonderful connecting with you. You two enjoy those wines! I will tell Mark Ryan you gave him a vid shout out.
I meant Merry Christmas you TWO! Wow- shows what a full bottle of wine per person will do to grammar. Ha ha!
I hope you had a great holiday! Keep up the good work in the Seattle area.
Great reviews! I’m quite happy that I was able to snag a couple bottles of the 2006 Long Haul for $29 from one of my local wine shops! Can’t wait to give it a try. Happy Holidays!
Wholly smokes, $29 – what a steal. You will enjoy it!
Thanks for the shoutout but my website is drinksareonme .NET rather than .COM. Thanks in advance for your correction.
Thanks for stopping by, Dale! Anyone reading this should definitely visit http://drinksareonme.net – the site is fun, informative, provocative, and more!
Thank you for the shout-out! Sorry I didn’t get a chance to come by and comment sooner, it has been a crazy week! I missed you and all of my other wino friends!
You said it perfectly! I am very thankful for the friendships I’ve made with yourself and others… your blog is really tearing up the scene in MANY great ways!
Hope you had a most excellent Holiday weekend! I’m looking forward to what the next year will bring…hopefully much more great wine and great times!